As a renowned cosmetic surgery facility serving the Miami, FL area, CG Cosmetic Surgery, is more than a medical expert on the eventual aging happenstance in men and women that is puffy eyes. While puffy eyes can be caused by a number of irritants in youth, puffy eyes in aging adults are much much more common. Below, we discuss the common reasons that puffy eyes occur, and various tips on how to reduce puffiness under eyes.
Puffy Eyes Causes
Puffy eyes or really just when the very thin and sensitive skin around your eyes swells. A number of things could cause this swelling of the eyes to include the following:
- Lack of sleep
- Poor diet
- Excess sodium in diet
- Excess alcohol in diet
- Blepharitis (condition of inflammation of lid and under eye area)
- Normal aging process
- Tear duct irregularity
- Eye infections
Tips for Reducing Puffy Eyes
CG Cosmetic Surgery recommends that as long as your puffy eyes are not indicative of a medical eye condition, that the following tips will be effective at reducing puffy eyes on a temporary basis:
- Use ice/cold packs intermittently
- Limit sodium intake
- Limit alcohol intake
- Get enough sleep
- Drink plenty of water
- Wash face with cold water
- Take appropriate vitamins
- If allergic, avoid allergen and/or get a prescription to alleviate swelling.
- Use nighttime eye masks for soothing the inflamed area.
- Research day and nighttime soothing eye cream or gel which has vitamins in it: use daily.
- Eat a well-balanced diet.
- Contact your medical provider swelling persists.
- Do not rub your eyes.
While some or all of these above tips for reducing eye puffiness will certainly prove effective in many non-medical situations, sometimes in the patient who is just suffering eye puffiness from age will not see the same results in these simple at-home remedies. This is when a discussion with your medical provider and also your cosmetic surgeon at CG Cosmetic should be done to see if a plastic surgery might be a good alternative for long-lasting eye puffiness-relief.